We adopted Cuddles in February of 1998, she was only 4 years old at the time,
considering that we had one other basset and a Chihuahua she soon became “Dad’s
Dog” she could not wait for me to get home from work, as soon as I would walk in the door
she would come waddling over and kiss my face as only Basset Hounds do. She was our
great friend and companion for 13 years, she passed away on January 23, 2008
peacefully after a brief illness. We miss you “Big Dog” and will see you on the other side

Jim Sheldon & family
January, 2008
I first met her at 6 months, living outside in the winter, the runt of the litter and
rejected by the first person who took her home. She seemed almost too pretty for
a Basset but she sat so patiently while waiting for a treat and for my crazy life,
Buddie was a perfect match. She proved to me just how smart bassets are. By
watching her actions, she taught me how to help her understand things. Buddie
learned probably 30-40 simple hand signals or words that made life easier
because she knew what they meant.

without knowing what was inside. If I picked up one, it meant I was working and
Buddie would lay down. If I picked up the other, she would dance and spin and run
back and forth to the door because we were going to visit grandma. You couldn't
be sad around her because everything she did was funny. She walked funny, ran
funny, she slept, played and even snored funny - and don't forget about the howl.
My customers would stop by to ask her to howl.

Her fur was soft, her ears were like velvet, and the white tip on her tail spun like a
propeller when she got happy. I'll miss the way she would play with toys for hours
and the way she would "hide in plain sight" by sitting behind a stool and then
peeking around it. When I worked 70 hour weeks, she was there to make me
laugh. When I injured my leg and couldn't walk, she was the brightest part of my
day. For almost 14 years, I did my best to watch over and protect Buddie - when
she passed, I finally realized it was really Buddie that was watching over me. I will
miss her dearly.

Mitch Anheier
Bloomington, Illinois
August, 2008
Nick came to us to foster in October of 2002. We were pretty new at fostering back then. He was a
'mixed' breed but definitely basset hound by his body shape. Never were quite head stuck on a
basset hound body.  He was one of those dogs that shouldn't have been in rescue but GABR,
being the great organization that it is, took a chance on him because he was in an animal control
shelter and was scheduled to be euthanized. He instantly became our first, and so far only, foster

Nick became a perfect example of a second chance dog. He had several behavior issues and did
not like men, particularly teenage boys - of which I had 2 living with me during that time. He had "He
Bites" across the top of his vet paperwork. He did lots of rough mouthing when he played. He never
gave up his job of protecting the house and was an excellent judge of character. I always trusted
his instincts when it came to people! Once he would NOT let one young man in our house. That
young man ended up going to prison for burglary. With patience and love, he ended up being my
demo dog for pet when we were working. At work we handed out more business cards for GABR
than we did for training classes. During his life he was a true ambassador for GABR.

I lost Nick to bone cancer this August. But he was a real trooper right up to the end. His spirit
lingers with us. I know he is helping to train the new pup to guard the house in his absence. He still
rides shotgun when I'm alone in the car. That funny looking mixed breed basset hound was my
bodyguard, my confidant, my therapist, my foot warmer, my self confidence, my foster dog trainer,
my co-worker, my traveling companion, my inspiration and my best friend.

Martha Mercer

We adopted you through GABR when you were 3 and we've loved the stuffing out of you for the
last 8 years. You were our lap buddy, our riding in the car with the windows down while ears were a
flappin' friend, our always happy to see us pal. You brought so much laughter, joy and love into our
household and for that we will be forever grateful to you my dear friend.

Yes, you had your stubborn streak...stopping in the middle of the road when YOU decided our walk
was over.  Not budging in the bed so we had to mold ourselves around you. Jumping up just far
enough to reach that stick of butter on the table.

But we loved every stubborn streak in you. When cuddling was needed, you were the best.  It felt
so good to bury my face in your hound dog smelling fur and just hold on to you sometimes.  You
always were a great comfort to me. You were quite simply, the very best dog in my entire life, Mo.
I miss you so incredibly much it hurts.  
I hope your sweet soul is across that rainbow bridge running through green grasses, playing with
happy puppies, and eating treats to your heart's content.
I'll love you forever, Mosey and hope in the later years that our souls will meet, play, laugh and run
again together.

Good bye my sweet, sweet Mosey.
We love you,
Mom, Dad and Andy
1998 ~ 2008
I still remember the first day I brought home Raymond, a sweet large boy, who looked like he skipped the
"puppy stage" and when straight to "old man".  As I attempt to come up with one word to describe my
best friend, who spent 10 years by my side, it would be "special".  Raymond was in every sense of the
word, a special dog.  He was the life of every party, a friend to all, and was kind to everybody that he
met.  Ray wasn't the most athletic creature on the planet.  While other dogs ran around the park, Ray
chose to root around at his own pace.  He was a fan at softball games, an obstacle a bean bags, a pillow
to lay on, and a friend that words can never truly grasp. He had a special place reserved in the kitchen,
where he would lay at our feet every time we cooked.  That sweet face would always be present on the
coffee table, just waiting for a crumb to find its way to the floor.  At the waddle, he enjoyed being around
his brothers, and couldn't wait for the "pooped" truck to pull up to take him across the finish line.  His life
was a full of joy and happiness.  As the years went on, his health began to suffer.  On Christmas Day
2007, he became paralyzed in his hind legs and couldn't walk.  The vet wanted him to be put down, but
Ray gave me that look that said, "I'm not ready yet Dad".  We went to a specialist the day after Christmas
and through a minor miracle, he was hobbling around in weeks.  He made it another year, until that lump
in his neck began to grow larger.  The cancer had ravaged his body, and even up until his last day, the
trooper Ray was in great spirits.  His body finally gave up on him and that when he told me that it was
time.  Raymond will always be in my heart and will now be able to root through the park everyday as he
has now crossed the bridge into happiness.  My beloved Ray has given me way more than I ever gave
him, and I will be thinking about him every day.  If there is a doggy heaven, I'm sure Raymond has
already found the most comfortable place to lay down and just be "special".

We will always remember you

Mike, Julie, A.J, Clyde
12/20/97 - 8/20/2007
While at the Waddle in 2004, we came across the cutest girl. We were just browsing,
but...there was Napa.

Although she had back problems, that really never slowed her down. Napa loved to run
through the puddles at the park with our other Basset, Scrappy. She also loved car rides, put
a leash on her! She would lay down until you took it off. Who needs a leash for a walk? Not
In the end, she lost the use of her hind legs. She was such a trooper though. Imagine a 60 pound basset dragging herself around for
Our girlie is deeply missed by the family and Scrappy, too. We had almost 3 years, how we wish we had more! We hope you're running
again, Napa!

Mom, Dad, Becca, Tony & Carly Bernardy
And your buddy Scrappy, too
08 -2008
Hannah and my son Mike. He would lay on the floor for hours playing hide and seek with
Hannah, she would cover his eyes with his ear and say, “Where's Angelo?”   He would give a
little arooo and shake his head like here I am.  He was Hannah's boy.  She would come over
and he would get so excited he would get a little loud with his aroooo's.  I would say, “Angelo,
little bark bud” and he would tone it down a little.  It was so funny. Bless his heart he tried to run
with the other dog's and Hannah, but he just couldn't. All of his bones from the back down were
fused together from arthritis and some neglect  before coming to GABR.  He couldn't even lift
his tail, but he was a happy boy.  In the end, he started licking the floor and walls.  I spoke to his
Vet and she said that was a way of dealing with his pain, so we knew we had to let him be pain
free. It was so hard to let him go but it was the best for him. Angelo, you are now pain free baby
and you can run and keep up with your friends and wag your tail as fast as you can.

We love you and miss you so much,
04/30/01 - 09/07/09

Doc, our beloved son and brother to Roscoe is now at the rainbow bridge.  We miss him so.  He was the love of our life.  We are going to
stopped and stuck his entire nose up the tail pipe.  I guess he wanted to see what was up there.  When he pulled his nose out, it was all
covered in black soot.  He looked so funny, and he had this look on his face like what did I do?  

Once when we were returning from a trip to Iowa with him, we had extra things we were bringing back with us so part of Doc's seat was
taken, so he decides to get up on top of the box that was taking up some of his seat and he stands on it the whole way home.  When he
stood on the box he had his butt pressed against the back window of the truck and appeared to be mooning everyone that passed us on
I-80.  Doc got alot of looks on that trip, there was also alot of finger pointing.  He was a funny, funny boy.

When he was diagnosed with Lymphoma in early January of this year, it crushed us.  We were not prepared to lose him.  We immediately
sought out a specialized oncology vet.  After hearing our options we decided to start him on the chemo right away.  To us there really was no
other answer.  He deserved the best in life.  After starting chemo he really bounced back to his old self.  He really did well on the chemo and
had little to no side effects from it.  Then in August we found out the cancer was back.  That is when I decided to take all of my vacation time
so that I could stay home with him.  I didn't want him to be alone when he was feeling sick.  That was the best decision I made.  I was able to
take my time with him and make sure that he received top notch care and that he was comfortable.  When he was feeling up to it, we would
load him up in his wagon and take him for a walk that way.  He really loved that.  The picture is him doing just that on August 25th, 2009.  He
would just sniff the air and enjoy his surroundings.  

On Sunday, September 6th, he gave my husband and I big kisses as we were saying good night to him.  Later that night, at 3 AM on that
Monday, my husband wakes me up and tells me that Doc has just climbed the stairs to be with us.  He hadn't be able to do that for a very
long time.  I was so happy that he was able to do it, but I knew in my heart that it was his way of telling me it was time for him to go to the
rainbow bridge.  We snuggled the rest of the night together.  When morning came, he was really struggling.  We gave it some time to see if
the medication he was on would help him, but it never did.  He was such a happy dog right up to his last breath.  While in the vets office he
was looking up and his eyes were moving around like he was clearly looking at something.  We believe he was looking at the angels that
were coming to help him cross over to the rainbow bridge.  

Doc was pure love sent to us from above.  He was the best son, friend and companion we could have ever had.  He is truly missed.  We will
carry him in our hearts forever and rejoice in knowing we will see him again one day at the rainbow bridge.  We love you Doc.  

Mommy, Daddy and Roscoe